noun
1 the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel
something, esp. to do something creative
2 the drawing in of breath; inhalation.
I am lucky to have come into the world surrounded by
inspiring people, organizations, and landscapes. I have often found myself in
exciting situations in which I felt driven by a force outside of myself to
create something new or work towards a collective goal, to experience the
pleasure of being a part of something bigger than myself with a positive impact
on the planet. Perhaps it is inherent for humans to seek this type of community
out but often I wonder—the times of non-stimulation, of the lack of
inspiration, are the hardest to pull yourself out of sometimes—is this
inspiration what drives the world? Where would we be without it? Is the lack of
inspiration what is leading so many people and communities to stray from our
rootedness in the earth, to deny our very relation to it?
I find that taking a deep breath brings my focus back to my
body. Inspiration. It leads me to my roots: my cellular biology, the exchange
of oxygen and carbon dioxide within my lungs, my heart beating. Inspiration.
Will external inspiration bring us back to our roots like breath? Will it help
us find the awareness, the compassion, and the movement we need to change the
state of our home, the earth, which we have so obliviously degraded?
I ask each of you to take a deep breath, inspire. With this
breath, think about what inspires you. Exhale.
With your next deep inspiration, think about how you can
inspire others to reconnect with the earth, with the soil, with the sunlight,
with the birds, with the animals, with the plants, whose web of life we are
very much interlaced with, whose existence we could not live without.
If we each inspire one another to deepen our knowledge of
and connection to the earth, we can build a livable future one breath at a
time.
This is the future of Natural History for humans.
No comments:
Post a Comment