Monday, February 9, 2015

Chiricahua National Monument: Road Trip Part V


Chiricahua National Monument in southeast Arizona. It's pronounced Cheer-uh-cow-uh, not Cheery-cuh-who-uh, named for the Apache people from that area.
We breezed through New Mexico (and by that I mean it was so hot we nearly died) and made it to Chiricahua National Monument very early the next morning. We drove to the top of the monument and enjoyed the sun warming the bizarre and incredible rock formations.


The goal bird of the day was a Red-faced Warbler so we set out on a long hike into the canyons to an area where they are usually seen. We were surrounded by awesome birds the whole time. Yellow-eyed Juncos, Hepatic Tanager, Dusky-capped Flycatcher, Montezuma Quail! In the depths of the canyon we lucked out and saw a Mexican Chickadee, a Painted Redstart, and our goal bird, the Red-faced Warbler. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture because I have a policy with life birds to really see them before I lift up my camera. This little guy was in full view for only a few minutes, then popped back in the trees and bopped around for a bit before he disappeared. Next time!

Black-throated Gray Warbler, Setophaga nigrescens.
Later in the evening we walked to the Faraway Ranch, where my father had written a history of the little cabin, and found an Arizona Woodpecker on the way back! We also found this Desert Grassland Whiptail digging.

Arizona Woodpecker, Picoides arizonae.
Desert Grassland Whiptail Lizard, Aspidoscelis uniparens.
It was a great trip to the Chiricahuas. I can't wait to go back there and spend more time exploring and birding! I would also really like to see a Coatimundi.

Important Note: I am heading out to Santa Cruz Island tomorrow! Though I still have a few more road trip adventures to share, I may detour and my next post will be from the island about the island!

1 comment:

  1. So grateful to be following your adventures Nora; hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete