I checked Lagunitas' nest yesterday just to be sure it had actually failed in the storm. Lo and behold, she was sitting on the nest! Whoever had checked the nest three days ago had seen inside the nest and there were no eggs. Because we saw her sitting in it before, we expected there to be eggs, but she may have not laid them yet. She might also be confused because this is her first year breeding (we think), so perhaps she did fail. Only time will tell.
As for work today, I don't think I have ever spent so much time wriggling in the dirt. I was nest searching in Mulefat, Baccharis salicifolia, and in many parts I was crawling or slithering in the wet leaf-duff and soft but dry mud. The Mulefat was a little over 2 meters high (over 6 feet) and there was a tiny open pathway that was literally the width and depth of my body including my backpack. It was great. I didn't find the nest, but I have a good idea of where to look next time, with a few more clues.
I did find a nest today: Longtrail at Portezeula. Very satisfying.
No comments:
Post a Comment