Saturday, May 14, 2011

Back to the Mainland

My adventure on Santa Cruz Island has come to a close. I am back on the mainland, visiting with family and friends at Midland before heading to Lee Vining for another summer of bird surveys. Things are hectic so I will hopefully be able to write about the last few days on the island once things are settled down in a few days and I am in one place. I will continue this blog through the summer, as there are many birdy adventures to be had in the Eastern Sierra.

On another note, due to the millions of dollar budget cuts in California, the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) released a list of 70 parks around the state that will be permanently closed and the Mono Lake Tufa State Reserve is on that list. This is a serious mistake on the part of the DPR, and we need to fight it. Go to the Monologue at www.monolake.org to check out why closing Mono Lake is a bad idea and stay tuned for action alerts. Send a letter to your representative supporting the parks and opposing the closures at www.calparks.org. We all need to help to keep these parks open!

No comments:

Post a Comment