Sorry about the dearth of posts in the past 10 days--the internet was down and I was free from checking email and checking up on the world. During this time I got a cold and was out of the field for three days. Exciting, exciting, I know, but I got to read a lot. Novels! I haven't been able to do that for a while, and now I've read four.
| The Lee (as in General) female incubating eggs on her nest. |
| Michelle Obama peeking out from behind a branch. |
We have a few nests beginning to fledge these days. Fledging is when the young finally hop ship and learn to fly. Their feathers are not entirely grown in and their tail is about an inch long, so they are pretty defenseless against predators and they depend on their parents to feed them for weeks. The Oprah and Steadman nest fledged in Portezuela. To my happy surprise, Negra Modelo also fledged! Four days ago they were 18 days old, a very young age to hop the nest, so they must have been force-fledged by a predator. At least two of them are still alive though, because I saw La Negra and GUY/AP feeding in two separate spots yesterday. McCain, Kennedy, and Rasputin have all fledged in the Field Station plot, and possibly Nader as well. Once they leave the nest it is hard to tell if they got eaten or are still making it, unless you see the parents feeding, but so far so good on these nests.
| Island Fox angry at me for disrupting its harassment of the Kennedy fledglings. |
No comments:
Post a Comment